Pierogi are a Polish version of a dumpling, traditionally stuffed with mashed potato and cheese. Delicious with the addition of a little Bacon! Obviously for those who do not suffer from Coeliac Disease feel free to swap the GF Flour for ordinary plain flour. This recipe will make sufficient Pierogi for a dinner party or large family gathering. But they can be frozen before the cooking stage in smaller batches to cook at a later date.
29.58 ml onions, grated
59.16 ml butter
4-6 large potatoes
473.18 ml cheddar cheese, grated
236.59 ml crumbled cooked bacon
salt and pepper
473.18 ml gluten-free flour
4.92 ml salt
118.29 ml water
118.29 ml cold mashed potatoes
14.79 ml butter, melted
(1) Cook the onion in the butter until tender.
(2) Add onions and cheese to hot cooked potatoes and mash thoroughly.
(3) Add bacon, salt, and pepper to taste.
(4) Set aside, let cool to room temperature before using.
(1) Mix flour and salt in a deep bowl.
(2) Add egg, mashed potatoes, melted butter, and enough water to make dough medium soft.
(3) Knead until smooth (use floured board).
(4) Divide dough into 2 parts, cover, let stand 10 minutes.
(5) Roll dough thin on floured board.
(6) Cut dough using a round cookie cutter or drinking glass.
(7) Place spoonful of filling in each circle - fold in half.
(8) Press edges together with fingers. If dough does not stick, dampen edges slightly.
(9) Place on floured board and cover with damp towel to keep moist.
(10) Place perogies in pot of rapidly boiling salt water - do not over crowd pot.
(11) Stir gently to keep from sticking - do not use a sharp spoon.
(12) Cook until Pierogies begin to float and are well puffed, about 3 minutes.
(13) Remove from pot and drain well.
(14) Continue to cook remaining Pierogies.
(15) After boiling fry with butter and chopped onions until slightly browned.