If you are planning to take advantage of the first predicted warm sunny weekend of spring and have a BBQ, impress your friends and neighbours with this delicious Chicken Satey recipe.
12 bamboo skewers
1.50 tsp. salt
1 tbsp. Thai green curry paste
0.25 c. well-stirred unsweetened coconut milk
4 medium skinless, boneless chicken-breast halves
0.25 c. Smooth peanut butter
2 tsp. soy sauce
1 tsp. dark brown sugar
0.13 tsp. ground cayenne pepper
0.25 c. rice vinegar
3 tbsp. granulated sugar
2 medium shallots
1 jalapeño chile
(1) Place skewers in water to cover; let soak at least 30 minutes.
(2) While skewers are soaking, in medium bowl, toss cucumber with salt; let stand 30 minutes at room temperature.
(3) In another medium bowl, stir curry paste and 1/4 cup coconut milk until combined. Add chicken and turn to coat. Let stand 15 minutes at room temperature, stirring occasionally.
(4) Fire up the BBQ.
(5) Meanwhile, prepare peanut sauce: In small bowl, with wire whisk, mix peanut butter, soy sauce, brown sugar, ground red pepper, remaining 1/3 cup coconut milk, and 1 tablespoon hot water until blended and smooth. Transfer sauce to serving bowl. Makes about 2/3 cup.
(6) Drain cucumber, discarding liquid in bowl. Pat cucumber dry with paper towels. Return cucumber to bowl; stir in vinegar, granulated sugar, shallots, and jalapeño; refrigerate until ready to serve.
(7) Thread 2 chicken strips on each skewers discard marinade. Place skewers on hot grill rack and BBQ until well cooked, turning from time to time.
Arrange skewers on platter. Serve with peanut sauce and pickled cucumbers.